News on Section 811 Disability Housing!

Jan 26, 2012
Tagged with:

News on Disability Housing is filtering out of Washington DC with the new US Department of Housing and Urban Development Section 811 program. Newly upgraded by President Obama through the Melville Supportive Housing Investment Act of 2010, the new Section 811 program will assist lower income people with disabilities to live in the community in affordable housing linked with voluntary services and supports.

The money given to this program by Congress will go to applicants across the states to create new residences, upgrade apartment buildings and create group homes for 3-4 PWD. People can get vouchers for the program (already operating in 35 states) by going to the website shown at the bottom of this page.

To qualify for a voucher PWD must have an income that is less than 50% of the area median income for the area in which they live. An average to give you a ballpark figure would be a person would have an income of about $13,500 or less for a single person to qualify. You can find the income guidelines for your area through the link at the bottom of the page, too. A final requirement is that least one of the adults in the family must be between the ages of 18-61 years.

This legislation provided for Person Centered supports that are voluntary, as well as full community integration rather than seclusion, and for important features such as lease protection. Something that most PWD like about this program is that the user can choose which types of assistance they want to sign up for, and can control the selection of the person who provides the support.  There is a belief among advocates that this new law will create permanent, supportive housing for PWD and that the housing will be welcoming and personable due to the limitation in size of 24 units per building. These units can be limited housing people with disabilities or they may be inclusive, as the building owner/operator determines.

For more information on how to apply, click the link below.

Find the resources in your state:

Get help:

Author: Tanya