Tagged with: Autism children mother parents
1) My husband and I planned on having our first child after two years of marriage. Matthew beat us by 2 months.
2) I took Matthew on a job interview when he was eight weeks old because I couldn’t bear to leave him with a babysitter.
4) My husband and I coached Matthew before his next evaluation with a child psychologist. We read him Richard Scary’s Best Word Book Ever.
5) When the child psychologist confirmed that Matthew was developmentally delayed, I thought that meant he could catch up. I really did.
6) When Matthew started lining up toys and laughing too hard at sprinklers in the garden, I knew something was seriously wrong, but I didn’t admit it to anyone.
7) I was angry with him, and I felt guilty that I was angry.
8) When Matthew’s younger brother Andy charmed family and friends with his personality and smarts, my love for Matthew deepened.
9) Andy is now 22. My most cherished childhood memories with him are the walks we took while Matthew was with speech therapist/psychologists/occupational therapists etc.
10) Matthew’s youngest brother, John, was one week old when we tried our first miracle cure, auditory training. He is now 18 and helps Matthew with cheats on Sonic and Knuckles.
11) Andy is studying genetics. He is kind and funny. Matthew is jealous of him because he has friends and a drivers license.
12) My husband I have stayed together-I hear that is unusual.
13) The year that I accepted that Matthew’s condition was lifelong was also the year I had a mini-breakdown.
14) The best thing I ever did was find a good therapist.
15) My exercise routine has saved me.
16) My sense of humor has kept me sane.
17) There is nothing more genuine than one of Matthew’s smiles.
18) There are more kind people in the world than there are jerks.
19) I cried at every IEP except for the last one, which would be THE last one.
20) Even then they blamed vaccines. I never did, and I still don’t.
21) I’ve met some of the best people because of Matthew.
22) When Matthew tells me he’s not in trouble, I know that he IS in trouble, and I remain calm.
23) I am one of the most patient women on the planet.
24) I am luckier than most.
25) The lump in my throat will never go away.